Skip to main content

Universal Credit (UC)

This is a benefit to help people with living costs and it’s paid monthly. You can receive it if you’re on a low income, out of work, or you can’t work. The UK Government introduced UC to replace several legacy benefits and tax credits, including: Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Working Tax Credit. You’ll stop getting these benefits and tax credits when you or your partner claims Universal Credit.

If you are on any of the legacy benefits mentioned above, we recommend you take advice from an experienced adviser before claiming Universal Credit. This is because you will not be able to go back to these once you have claimed Universal Credit.

Find out more information on