Skip to main content

Carers Information leaflet

Carers . . .

  • Look after someone – relative, friend, neighbour – who is ill, frail or disabled and cannot manage on their own.
  • Are unpaid and save the NHS in Wales over £7 billion every year.
  • Carers can live in the same house as the person they care for while others live nearby and visit regularly.
  • Care can be provided for limited periods of time or can be a regular part of life.
  • Some provide care for more than one person.

If you are a carer you are a PARTNER IN CARE and entitled to:

  • Be involved in planning the care of the person you look after
  • Request a local authority Carer’s Assessment
  • Information and support about your caring role
  • Participate in decisions about hospital discharge arrangements for the person you care for

Why do carers need support?

Caring is rarely something you can plan for.  Today, one in ten people in the UK are carers – that’s six million people.  But over the next 30 years, as more of us live for longer, the number of carers will increase by 3.4 million.

Anyone could be a carer – a 15 year-old girl looking after her terminally ill mother, a 40 year-old man caring for his partner who has terminal cancer, or an 80-year-old woman looking after her husband who has Alzheimer’s disease.  Carers all make enormous sacrifices, often putting aside their education, careers, social lives, and even their health, in order to care.

Three in five people will become a carer in their lifetime. One day, either you or someone you are close to, may need support. 

Am I entitled to a carers assessment?

If you provide ‘regular and substantial’ care for someone over 18, you have the right to a carer’s assessment from the social services department at your local council, (see telephone numbers in this leaflet).  This is a chance to discuss what help you need as a carer.

Where can I get help and support?

There are many places in the South Wales area that offer help, advice and support.   Below are a list of helpful numbers for carer’s centre’s, social services, Macmillan support lines and Tenovus support lines.

Please see below a list of important and useful support line telephone numbers:

Health in Wales/carers            website

Macmillan support line:         Freephone 0808 808 00 00

Velindre Welfare Rights Advisor    02920 615888 and ask for the welfare rights team

Tenovus support line:            Freephone 0808 808 1010

Tenovus money advice:            Freephone 0808 808 1010

Carer’s UK Advice line:            Freephone 0808 808 7777

Carers Centres in South Wales.

Carers Centres offer help, support and information on a wide range of matters to anyone caring for a person affected by cancer, as well as organising social events to give carers the chance to meet others in a similar position. 

The services offered include:

  • One to one support
  • Signposting
  • Days out
  • Emotional support and listening
  • Knowing your rights
  • Health and wellbeing sessions

Listed below are telephone numbers of carers centres in your area:

Crossroads Care in the Vale
Vale of Glamorgan
Opening times: 9-4                Tel: 02920 700057

Crossroads Care Mid        
 & West Wales
Opening times: 9-5                Tel: 01874 610900

Bridgend Carers Centre        
Bridgend County Borough        
Opening times: 9-5                Tel: 01656 658479

Crossroads Care
Opening times: 9-4                Tel: 01267 220046

Social Services

Adult carers who have a regular and substantial caring role have the right to a free Assessment of their needs, carried out by Social Services. The Carer's Needs Assessment is specifically about your needs and not the person you care for.

Many carers have a Carer's Needs Assessment at about the same time as the person they care for is getting their needs assessed. But you can ask for a Carer's Needs Assessment at any time, even if the person you care for doesn't want any help from Social Services, or if they are already getting help.
If you already have contact with a social worker please speak to them regarding a Carers Needs Assessment, if not please contact our Adult Services.

Useful telephone numbers for Social Services for carers support:

Social Services Caerphilly        Tel: 01443 864604

Social Services Cardiff            Tel: 02920 234234

Social Services RCT                Tel: 01443 425003

Social Services Vale                 Tel: 01446 700111

Social Services Bridgend            Tel: 01656 643643

Social Services Gwent            Tel: 01495 311556

Contact telephone numbers for Velindre

Patient Information Manager

For information on local support groups
And information for carers:    029 2019 6132

Velindre Cancer Centre:        029 2061 5888

Pharmacy department:         029 2061 5888 ext 6223
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm for queries about your medicines

Tenovus freephone :            0808 808 1010

The information contained in this leaflet is evidence based.
It has been approved by doctors, nurses and patients.  It is reviewed and updated every 2 years.  

Plain English Society logo